Estate Planning / Probate Litigation

Estate Planning – Wills and Trusts

After a divorce or significant family change, many people choose to create or update their estate plan.  An estate plan can help protect your financial assets today and provide for your family’s financial needs after you pass away. Typically, a basic estate plan includes a will, health care directive (also known as a living will or medical proxy), and a power of attorney. Some choose to add one or more trusts to their basic estate plan.

A will is a legal document that directs what will happen to your assets after you die. It also is a place where you can record the names of guardians for your children, so they will be watched over and cared for by someone you trust.

A trust is a legal arrangement that allows you to distribute assets to your heirs with privacy and without the delay of probate court.

Probate – Contested Matters and Guardianships/Conservatorships

Occasionally surviving spouses, children, or other heirs disagree how an estate should be administered, or how much or to whom the assets should be distributed. Roben Law, PLLC provides representation to initiate or defend a will or trust dispute. An experienced litigator with broad family law experience provides an advantage in a contested probate matter.

Additionally, Roben Law, PLLC provides representation to initiate or defend guardianship and/or conservatorship matters for minor children or adults.  A Guardian is appointed by the court to make personal decisions, such as where to live, medical decisions, and education, for a protected person (“Ward”).  A Conservator is appointed by the court to make financial decisions, such as pay bills and invest assets, for a protected person (“Conservatee”).

Questions to explore

  • What is the value of my real estate, business holdings, personal property and other assets?
  • How do I want to distribute my assets?
  • Do I want to leave anything to a charity or foundation?
  • If I cannot speak for myself and become ill or near death, what wishes would I have for my health care? Whom do I want to speak on my behalf?
  • What kind of information should I discuss with my heirs or family to avoid confusion over my wishes and possible disputes?
  • Do I have a friend or family member that may need someone else to take make decisions for them (guardian) and/or their finances (conservator)?
  • Does someone believe you need a guardian and/or conservator?

Roben Law, PLLC offers you:

  • Broad Experience – An attorney with a wide breadth of experience to apply to your unique situation.
  • Personal attention – Understanding and respect for life’s difficult situations.
  • Practical solutions – Plans and documents that are properly prepared, so they will stand up to scrutiny or challenges.